It happens. One of the worst things you can imagine. Someone gets killed in a traffic accident, and snap, you are in a world of trouble.
Unfortunately, it happens a lot. In the United States, there are more than 30,000 automobile crashes involving a fatality every year, according to statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Negligent homicide is not an intentional crime, but still the guilty party faces dire criminal penalties.
Negligent Homicide Law in New Hampshire
Negligent homicide is the unintentional but careless killing of another person. It can be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony. In New Hampshire, “negligence in the operation of an automobile” comes under “negligent homicide” and is always a felony.
Title LXII of New Hampshire's Criminal Code states that a person found guilty of causing another person's death due to negligent driving will be charged with a Class B felony.
It becomes a Class A felony – with even more severe penalties – when the death resulted because the driver was intoxicated at the time of the accident, either with alcohol, drugs, or both. The offense can be while driving an automobile, a boat, or even an off highway recreational vehicle (OHRV).
Very Severe Penalties
A person found guilty of a Class B felony in New Hampshire can be sentenced to up to seven years in jail. For a Class A felony, the term can go up to fifteen years.
Your driver's license can be revoked for seven years, or even longer. After that time, you'll have to petition the court for permission to reapply for a license.
If you do get permission to apply for a new driver's license, you may then have to have an ignition interlock device (IID) installed on your car for up to five years. Plus, of course, you can be assessed heavy fines.
Take Action Now!
One thing is clear. If you are charged with negligent homicide while DWI, you should act quickly to consult one of the most experienced and best trained defense attorney available.
In New Hampshire, Attorney Ryan Russman is a Board Certified DUI lawyer. He's your man. He's the one you want fighting the serious charges against you.
Board Certified means that Ryan Russman is among the less than 50 elite DUI lawyers in the nation that have been certified in DUI Defense Law by the National College for DUI Defense (NCDD), the only organization accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA) to certify lawyers in this specialty practice area.
If You Must Drive for a Living…
Attorney Ryan Russman's clients have included many people who must drive to make a living. This includes those in a profession – such as doctors, and lawyers – and those who hold a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) – such as truck drivers, firefighters, limousine drivers, school bus drivers and others.
More than anyone, these people need the most highly qualified DWI defense expert such as Attorney Russman.
What ABA-Sanctioned Board Certification Tells You About DWI Lawyer Ryan Russman
The ABA-accredited NCDD sets forth stringent Board Certification requirements reflecting the fact that DUI Defense Law has become so complex and specialized.
Attainment of Board Certification demonstrates that Attorney Russman has exceptional knowledge, training and expertise in:
- Mounting an effective challenge to evidence in medical science areas of breath, blood and field sobriety testing, and the processes and devices used to conduct these tests.
- Mastering the intricate legal aspects of DWI law and prosecution.
- Assembling one of the best team of defense experts to challenge the prosecution's evidence and testimony.
- Presenting a clear and convincing case to a jury, and making complex legal matters easy to understand.
Ryan Russman: For a Superior Defense in Causing a Death Due To Negligent Driving
- DUI Attorney Russman has been lead counsel on many cases involving charges such as these. He has the benefit of experience.
- You'll get aggressive representation on your behalf from a DWI specialist who excels in this specific and challenging area of the law. He knows all the angles; he knows the judges and state prosecutors.
- The independent lawyer rating service AVVO rates him 10.0: at the top of DUI/DWI defense lawyers in New Hampshire and one of the top in the U.S.
- In addition, Attorney Russman is considered an extremely well-qualified attorney in criminal defense, motor vehicle and personal injury cases.
- Other lawyers and DWI specialists look to Attorney Russman for advice and the benefit of his expertise. He is the author of two widely acclaimed books on DWI in New Hampshire.
- His certifications include: NHTSA/IACP Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Instructor, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration / IACP Drug Evaluation Certification, Evidentiary Breath Alcohol Technician / Intoxilyzer Instrument, and Certification for Mastering Scientific Evidence in DWI/DUI Cases.
Free Case Review With DWI Specialist Russman
Call right away for a free case review! Get the benefit of a personal consultation. Your case review will be protected by attorney/client privilege even though you are under no obligation to hire him.
Ryan Russman understands the way people feel when they face charges as serious as these. He'll listen to you and give you his defense strategy expertise.
Find out why he's one of New Hampshire's premier DWI specialists … and how much that can mean to you!