Homicide refers to the act of an individual killing another human. Murder is one type of homicide, but there are a number of other classifications that fall under a homicide charge. If you have been charged with homicide, you could face hard penalties that could include time in prison, or even the death penalty.
New Hampshire Laws Regarding Homicide
While federal laws govern the United States, specific state laws can define crimes, such as murder/homicide differently. The categories below can fall under a homicide charge in Exeter, Manchester and other areas of New Hampshire.
- Capital murder – A serious offense in which an individual is accused of killing a law enforcement officer, or after committing another criminal charge such as a sex crime or burglary.
- First degree murder – This charge includes murder in which the evidence points to premeditation or “aforethought malice.” It is punishable by life in prison without parole or the death sentence.
- Second degree murder – This homicide offense includes murder committed in a reckless or unmeditated manner, where the murderer purposefully knowingly caused death of another person.
- Manslaughter – A charge given to an individual who caused death to another as a result of an emotional, mental disturbance. Reckless behavior that causes a human being to die can be considered manslaughter.
- Negligent homicide – A homicide charge given to someone who murders another as a result from acting under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If guilty, individuals will have a Class B felony placed on their records
Any of these charges can lead to an extended prison sentence ranging from 7 years to life. A murder/homicide case can be detailed and complex; working with a sub-par attorney could cost you your future.
Ryan Russman, a Leading Manchester, NH Criminal Law Attorney, Will Help You
Ryan Russman, a skilled and experienced criminal defense lawyer, knows how to protect the rights of his clients. He values each one of his clients and purposefully keeps his case load small in order to give you the personal attention you deserve.
Russman Law, located in the Exeter and Manchester areas of New Hampshire, can put together a detailed, airtight defense for your case if you have been charged with vehicular homicide, second degree murder, or manslaughter. Even if you have been wrongly convicted, friends, family, and loved ones may not treat you with the same respect. You deserve to have the life you want. Russman Law can work with you in an effort to reduce your charges or eliminate them altogether.
If you are under a homicide/murder investigation, you need to contact a criminal defense attorney right away. The more time you give to your attorney, the better defense you will have when your case goes to trial. He will locate witnesses, track down documents, and put together the research needed to fight for your freedom.
Call attorney Ryan Russman today. As a leading New Hampshire criminal law attorney, he may change the course of your life. Russman Law offers comfortable law offices in two convenient locations: Exeter and Portsmouth.