New Hampshire Requirement for SR-22 Insurance After a DWI Conviction

Posted by Ryan Russman | Oct 28, 2013 | 0 Comments

Unlike most states, New Hampshire does not generally require drivers to carry automobile insurance. However, after a conviction for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI), New Hampshire requires drivers to carry a minimum auto liability insurance policy even if they do not own a vehicle. The minimum coverage required is $25,000 for bodily injury for each injured person with a maximum of $50,000 for bodily injury if more than two people are hurt, and $25,000 for property damage. This is commonly written as a 25/50/25 policy.

SR-22 Insurance Form

In order to show the state that a driver has current car insurance, the insurance company needs to file an SR-22 form with the DMV. Because a person must make a special request to the insurance company, there is a misconception that SR-22 is a type of insurance. But, SR-22 does not refer to a specific type of insurance policy, just the form filled out by the insurer. Most insurance companies charge a small fee for providing and transmitting SR-22 information to the state DMV.

High Risk Auto Insurance

SR-22 insurance is often confused with high-risk auto insurance. When insurance companies refuse to provide car insurance to a driver, he or she can enter the high-risk pool where an insurance company will be required to cover the driver.

High-risk insurance is typically very expensive. Although insurance rates will increase after a DWI conviction and there may be circumstances where a person is required to purchase high-risk insurance and have an SR-22 form on file, high-risk insurance and SR-22 policies are two different subjects.

Two Types of SR-22 Insurance

  1. Owner-Type: If you own one or more vehicles, you will be required to get the “owner-type” policy that provides liability coverage for all of the vehicles you own.
  2. Operator-Type: If you do not own a vehicle, you will need an “operator-type” policy that covers you regardless of what vehicle you are driving. Even if you do not drive, in order to get a driver's license reinstated, SR-22 insurance must be purchased.

NH Auto Insurance Requirements After a DWI Conviction

For a first DWI, a person must have an SR-22 policy on file for three years from the date when the suspension of driving privileges is completed. For a second DWI, this time period is extended to five years. If at any time the insurance policy lapses for non-payment, cancellation by the insured or insurer, or any other reason, the insurance company is required to notify the DMV.

Still have unanswered questions?

Contact NH DWI attorney Ryan Russman for a free consultation.

About the Author

Ryan Russman

Attorney Ryan Russman has dedicated his career to fighting for the rights of New Hampshire citizens. His practice, based in Exeter (Rockingham County) New Hampshire, is limited to cases involving DWI and DUI, other motor vehicle and criminal cases, and many cases involving personal injury. He is, however, best known as one of New Hampshire's leading legal authorities on DWI.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment