The New Hampshire Union Leader reports that, in late January of this year, a woman was struck by a driver at an intersection in Concord. She reportedly suffered serious injuries and was taken to the hospital where she was listed being in stable condition. The driver who struck her was a 36-year-old man named Anthony Landry. Police arrested him for aggravated DWI and believe that he was under the influence of prescription drugs.
This case is a good example of how serious pedestrian accident injuries can be. Whenever someone is out on the street, or even in a parking lot, they can be involved in a vehicle accident if a driver fails to notice them. Pedestrian accidents are almost always serious and are often caused by driver negligence. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motor vehicle accident while commuting on foot, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and pain and suffering. Contact Russman Law right now to find out more about your rights.
Facts About Pedestrian Accidents in New Hampshire
A person can be injured or killed in an auto accident of any kind. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 4,280 pedestrians were killed in 2010 and another 70,000 were injured in traffic crashes in the United States. They define a pedestrian as any “person on foot, walking, running, jogging, hiking, sitting or lying down who is involved in a motor vehicle traffic crash.”
Because pedestrians do not have any safety features to protect them, being struck by a vehicle at any speed can lead them to suffer severe injuries or even death. Common injuries that result from being hit by a vehicle include:
- Broken bones
- Brain damage
- Back or neck injuries
- Cuts, scrapes, and bruises
All of these injuries will require medical attention and some may even lead to a lifetime of pain and treatment. The cost of a long term injury can be high due to medical bills and other care expenses. This is exacerbated when the victim is unable to work due to their condition.
How Pedestrian Accidents Occur in NH
When it comes to pedestrian accidents, they can happen to anyone at any time. The NHTSA reports that 73% of fatal pedestrian accidents occurred in a city setting in 2010 and the other 27% occurred in rural areas. They also explain that 79% of pedestrian accident that occurred in 2010 took place in a non-intersection area of the street and, perhaps surprisingly, the large majority – 88% in 2010 – of fatal pedestrian accidents transpired on a clear or cloudy day while only 9% occurred during rainy conditions and 1% took place during fog.
Anyone can be subject to a pedestrian accident. However, The NHTSA explains that, in 2010, 19% of all fatalities and 11% of all injuries were inflicted upon elderly pedestrians, aged 65 or older. That same year, about one-fifth of all traffic related fatalities for children aged 5 to 9 were the result of pedestrian accidents. The NHTSA also found that the majority of pedestrian accident victims were male (69% in 2010) and that almost half of them occurred during the weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday).
Getting Compensation for Your Injuries
In 2010, 13% of all traffic fatalities were suffered by pedestrians. This is the highest percentage that occurred in the past 10 years. In New Hampshire, when a person is injured due to the negligence of another party, they have the right to seek compensation for the damages and pain inflicted. When a pedestrian is hurt due to a driver's mistake or lack of attention, this rule applies. With the aid of an injury attorney, victims and their families who were hurt or killed in pedestrian accidents can hold those who hurt them responsible. Common accidents include pedestrians being struck by driver who were:
- Not paying attention to the road
- Breaking a traffic law
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Under the influence
The NHTSA found that one cause of pedestrian accidents is alcohol. In 2010, 14% of fatal pedestrian crashes involved a driver with an alcohol concentration over the legal limit (0.08% or more) and another 4% of crashes involved a driver with a small amount of alcohol in their system (Between 0.01% and 0.08%). As in the article discussed at the beginning of this post, prescription drug use has also been linked to pedestrian accidents.
To find out more about your rights, contact a New Hampshire injury attorney as soon as you experience an accident.